Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Oink

My older kids came home yesterday with lots of questions about swine flu and wondered if we have enough food and water stored if there’s a quarantine? Will they get scurvy? They worry that their bodies aren’t ready for a steady diet of whole wheat and beans and for good reason: They aren’t. They’re worried and darned if I don’t have the answers they’re hoping for.

This strain of flu is unusual as far as swine flu goes. Swine flu is common in pigs and can be passed to humans but isn’t then easily passed from person to person. This one is derived in part from human, avian, and two different types of swine influenza. The origins are unknown and it passes easily from person to person. They say knowledge is power but in this case, well, I don’t see it.

Paris Hilton was recently asked if she was concerned about the swine flu outbreak and resulting deaths. Her response was, “I don’t eat that.” How sweet is that? Okay, it’s really not but it’s hard not to wish, just a little bit, for a hole to bury my head.

Wouldn’t do any good though, would it? We’ve been warned to prepare and we’ve done a decent job of it. I could work harder in the “Now-what-do-I-do-with-all-of-this-stuff?” department but honestly, there’s no place for a lot of worry. It’s not getting me anywhere.

I read this today and was comforted:
Deuteronmy 31: 8 "And the Lord, he it is that doth go before thee; he will be with thee, he will not fail thee, neither forsake thee: fear not, neither be dismayed."

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t mean things won’t get ugly but it’s nice to know He’s got our back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?