Sunday, April 26, 2009

Mother of the Year

On Friday I had two, count 'em, two "Mother of the Year" moments. It's not what you think. For me, those are the times when you realize you're out of the running. You missed the boat. "And the award goes to . . ." not you.

Kenny is our middle child. He's not your typical middle; he never competes for attention or any of the other "symptoms" I've read about. He's generally easy going and doesn't demand a lot of attention. For example, if he gets angry he's more likely to stomp off to his room to be alone and play with his Star Wars action figures than to rant and rave for a resolution. Being his mom is not particularly taxing.

So where's the problem? Kenny has had a runny nose for weeks. It occurred to me, to all of us really, that it might be allergies. We tried Claritin with no results. I kept thinking I should make an appointment with Dr. Merkley but the thought of taking my child to the doctor for a runny nose just seemed, well, not me. So he flew under my radar with this for weeks. Finally on Thursday he asked me to take him to the doctor. Ug. Not a good feeling. We got in on Friday only to find out that he's been suffering with a sinus infection this whole time. Mother of the Year.

Later in the day he and Sam helped me clean out the van so I decided to treat them to Slurpees from the 7-11 next door to the car wash. When I suggested this, Sam looked at me and asked, "What's a Slurpee?". Huh? Yeah, that's right. I raised this kid to almost 5 years old without ever having a Slurpee. Mother of the Year . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

So, what do you think?