Saturday, April 25, 2009

Green

It's not easy being "green". Well, okay, it sort of is. Now more than ever it's everywhere you look. But me, I'm a little embarrassed to say, I'm not so green. There are probably a few reasons. First of all, I'm lazy. Not in the traditional sense; I mean I work hard but I work hard at what I want to work hard at. Today I spent 4 or 5 hours planting flowers, vegetables, mowing the lawn, etc. but it was what I felt like doing. Second, I saw something on 60 Minutes or 48 Hours, something like that, years ago that showed how the things we recycle actually get pitched. Things like milk cartons and other plastic bottles with lids still on them or glass jars with labels not removed. It was a great excuse to not bother. It could be that times have changed. I have no idea. And I'm just too lazy to figure it out. I think the third reason I don't aggressively seek out all things environmentally-friendly is because it feels like a bandwagon I'd be jumping on. I know, I know, it's a good thing. It can't be a bad thing to produce less waste, to take care of our world. Of course not. But I just get a little freaked out by the people I've met who approach it like a religion. A love of Earth above a love of God or even their fellow man. It feels like something way beyond a desire to be a good steward.

But here's the thing. My oldest kids go to a totally green school. And they really are learning to be good stewards of the world around them. They make me proud. Sierra now has me recycling and even told me we have a recycling area around the corner by the skate park. Baby steps. On Friday afternoon I picked up Michael Jr. at an energy expo at the local community college where he and some of his teachers and classmates were talking to folks about packing waste-free lunches. They put together a great display and even created a game for people to play when they visited their booth. It's kind of cool when your kids start teaching you. Sometimes that is. This afternoon Michael Jr. attended a lecture--something about math and the 4th dimension-- and when he came home he was so excited to explain it all to me. My brain is still reeling ;).

2 comments:

  1. So here is my silly superstition about recycling cans. When I was in Utah, I was saving cans to take to the recycling center. Then the 4-plex we were living in caught fire. The next year I was saving cans for the elementary school and it caught fire. Sooooo, I don't recycle cans because when I do - THINGS BURN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (So, EBE is a name Evan and I came up when we were dating via the internet but didn't want anyone to know yet. Edna)

    ReplyDelete

So, what do you think?